Many congratulations to the Shugborough Estate, one of our Greener Museums, who recently won a Silver award for Sustainability in the Enjoy Staffordshire awards! The award has been designed to reward tourism businesses who can illustrate their excellence and commitment to sustainability best practice. It looks at various aspects of sustainability activity including energy management, waste reduction, water management and promoting sustainable transport.
The Shugborough Estate has a cross-site Green Champions team and the estate team has been heavily involved in measures such as:
- Installing LED bulbs which are also better for conserving artefacts
- Introducing microwave sensors for lights in the coach house which means that the area is only lit when used
- The heating systems are on a building management system which is computer and temperature controlled, delivering heat to places that need it and not to those that don’t
- Using systems which monitor energy usage
- Compartalisation work on voids in the Mansion House to provide better insulation
- Water efficient taps
- Water butts at the farm and walled gardens
- The ticket office toilets have waterless urinals and all cisterns have water hippos to ensure that water is not needlessly wasted
- Reedbeds at the farm
- Waste is segregated and as much as possible is recycled including paper, batteries, waste metal and print cartridges
- Electronic ticketing, booking and communication is employed where possible to reduce the use of paper
- Farm and tearoom waste is fed directly into the estate’s large eco-friendly composter and felled trees and foliage are recycled for use across the estate, from fenceposts to flower bed mulch.
Future plans include
- Reducing the amount of marketing print produced. The team is writing a more robust social media policy to reduce print, distribution and transport costs in 2014.
- Investigating the potential of introducing photovoltaic panels and using hydro power.
We’ll look forward to hearing how these plans advance at future Green Knowledge cafes!