This is a brief summary of things that an ideal environmental policy should contain. There will be a full example model at the Knowledge Café in early April.
- It should be accessible for all staff and play a significant part in the organisation’s decisions.
- It should address the three R’s:
REDUCE – consider where to cut down on printing and packaging.
RE-USE – find a second life for items, especially stationery.
RECYCLE – the least preferred option – find someone who can monitor recycling.
- It should address purchasing of recycled, Fair Trade and/or local products.
- It should address travel of visitors and staff, as this can often be a big contributor to the organisation’s carbon footprint.
- It should show a commitment to minimising energy consumption.